Monday 24 October 2011

Film review: Drive

I was spoiled last weekend by going to the cinema twice! I love cinema so I have decided to put some film reviews on my blog.

Firstly a film that has been the subject of a lot of hype Drive with new star Ryan Gosling. I went to see this film with a high expectations which probably affected my opinion of the film. A warning for sensitive souls, you will be bombarded with bloody scenes that would make Tarantino proud. Which gets the thumbs up from me. The film sucked me in with it's ambience from the beginning but left me unsatisfied. Ambience was concentrated on to the extent that the story telling suffered. Ryan Gosling's performance consists entirely of one expression. Strong and silent type is fair enough but there needs to be some flicker of emotion in a 2 hour movie! I had an overwhelming urge to stand up and scream: "Real people do not act that way!" Fortunately for the other cinema goers I was able to control myself. This albeit beautifully filmed movie ends ambiguously. I can't call this a bad movie but it could have been so much better with just a few tweaks and some expression from Gosling's robotic character. Three stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment